Thursday, July 25, 2013

Passion Project - What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

(Link for Video)


In class my teacher made me watch a video called, "The Passion Project". I guess in some case it spoke to me in a more deeper level. It made me question myself if there is anything in my life I am passionate about. In most cases, the lucky ones would say, "Education, Music, Food, Art, Love". When I asked myself what I am passionate about, I didn't know much.

I liked this one saying a student shared in the video. She said something like, "I wish someone would have told me earlier that it was ok NOT to know anything at this age". I thought that was pretty deep. I mean I'm only 20 years old and all but it was deep because I'm being constantly told this. When I would share my stories about a night out with friends consisting of bad decisions, my older friends or coworkers would shrug me off and explain that, "I am young, you're suppose to do all that to get it out of your system." & I actually believe them. I wonder if anyone told that girl that anytime in her earlier years.

Passion VS. Poverty. I think this is an interesting topic to connect to each other. The video clearly explains that, "Do what you love, love what you do". But what if the thing you love to do doesn't pay the bills? Skye's right. When we are younger we are constantly bombarded with the idea from our parents that we can become a ballerina, actor, singer, princess of the fucking world, but do they really mean it? I mean think about it, once you hit a certain age, presumably 12 or 13, they start to assume you want to get into a specific occupation and that imagination of being a princess is gone.

For the longest time, I wanted to be the next Britney Spears. I wanted to act, sing, dance, and model all at the same time. I want to say by the end of 13 years old, most my family members start to ask me what I wanted to become when I grow up, I then answered with a big fat I DONT KNOW. I guess in turn the aspect of poverty can affect what you become passionate about. I can't say I'm still passionate about becoming the next Britney Spears, but I'm certainly going to be paying these bills regardless. I don't know if that makes me a typical American following societies rules ... but I know one things for sure. I'm young and I got all the time in the world right now.



xoxo,
@K2theeLA


No comments:

Post a Comment